Food = Energy

Food = Energy

Monday, January 27, 2014

Spotlighting a student...thanks for the laugh!

So last night I literally laughed out loud while on a run...it's definitely one of those "you had to be there" moments, but let's run through the story anyway...

It all started while watching Burning Plain on Netflix with Val. Having a great, much needed relaxing day, we ordered up pizza from our newly favorite take-out joint around the corner: Tata's Pizza. Since learning that they make several vegan pizza pies with various toppings, we've probably shared a pie at least once a month. After devouring the "Bronzino" (soy cheese, onions, eggplant, pepper & garlic) with extra sauce per Val's request (great decision, Val!), we started watching video clips about Clif Bar & Company. It's been on my mind for a while, but last night I decided that I want to work for Clif in a position that has yet to be created. Everybody, quick! Call up Clif and ask them to read my resume and cover letter that I submitted probably like 5 times (accidentally, of course). Okay, back to the story...

So we are watching Clif clips and after about 5 videos, we maxed out our motivation capacity; it was time to act. Having not yet gone for my run, I got up from the couch in a way that must have said, "Watch me go!" because Val immediately asked, "Going for a run?" Yes, Val. How'd you guess? I could practically hear the wheels spinning in Val's head. "What will I do," asked subconscious Val to conscious Val. Conscious Val's response: Let's bake us some bars! I mean there are really only two ways to act upon inspiration provided by Clif Bar...you either get outside and do something OR you bake bars. Duh!

 I guess I helped, but the credit definitely goes to Val for some amazing energy bars! And I guess Clif deserves credit to for providing the inspiration.


The night run was also my first opportunity to test out my new Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp that Val's aunt and uncle got me for Christmas (I'll briefly review the headlamp below).



 All set and ready to go!


We walked out the door together; me embarking on a road run, Val embarking on a food run.

The headlamp was very useful. I probably didn't need it to see where I was going (until I got into the local park that lacks any kind of artificial light at night), but I could be relieved knowing that drivers can see me as I was running on the road and dashing across crosswalks.

I haven't had a funny moment occur while I was on a run in a very long time, but last night provided me a good laugh. I was running on the sidewalk up the main street of my campus and trying to look down every so often to avoid any patches of black ice that I couldn't see without the assistance of the headlamp. While running, I heard quick foot steps ahead and looked up rather suddenly. Well, I caught a guy with my light as he was walking toward me and he was not a fan of the spotlight (more like forehead high beam) being shown on him. "Ah dude!" he said aloud right before raising his textbooks to shield his eyes. I know how he felt. Right after opening the headlamp's packaging I thought I had to charge the light before using it. I was looking right at the lamp when I pressed the "on" button. Freakin' thing nearly blinded me for about 20 seconds! So, my apologies to the helpless student who did not expect to be a deer in the headlights on the way to class.

 Sorry guy for putting you in this category!



So about the Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp....

 Front bright white LED light.

 Rear red strobing LED light.

This headlamp will definitely be one of my favorite running items at some point in the near future. I don't run at night too often but I know the more I enter the world of ultramarathon running, the more races and training runs will be taking place while it is not yet light out. The headlamp rested on my head comfortably and I felt safe knowing that pedestrians, bikers, and drivers could not miss the spotlight shining from my forehead nor could they miss the rear bright red light strobing as I ran ahead of them. I would definitely recommend this headlamp for anyone who runs at night. Even if you run in remotely dim light and you don't think you need a headlamp...please, invest in your safety and purchase some precautionary items such as a headlamp.

Hey Black Diamond: Great product!


Lastly, here are the ingredients for the deliciously amazing energy bars we (Val) made last night:



  • Rolled Oats
  • Quinoa
  • Chickpeas
  • Flax seeds
  • Raisins
  • Dates
  • Peanut butter
  • Brown rice syrup
  • Black strap molasses
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg (tiny pinch)


That's all for tonight!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment