Food = Energy

Food = Energy

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Running clothes ready? Check.

Alarm set? Check.

Did I remember to brush my teeth? Check.

About eight hours later I am awaken by my phone’s alarm clock. Apple aptly named the alarm “Old Phone” as it is reminiscent of the ring of a classic phone, but if you ask my girlfriend, Val to name it she’ll respond: “The most annoying ringtone in the entire world.” Okay, so she may not be wrong, but it does the job excellently.

I was out the door by 7AM—not the the earliest, but I decided to sleep in a bit as I was home for Election Day—and began my 90 minute run. I was originally going to go for a morning wake-up run and then get in a track session in the afternoon, but I felt my hometown roads calling my name and I didn’t have the heart to turn them down.

It was a beautiful fall morning: the temperature was hovering around 42 degrees and the winds were calm. Although the weather was ideal for an early November run I managed to convince myself that it was necessary to wear the new running tights under my shorts just so I can test them out!

When I tell you that I did not want those 90 minutes to end, I mean it! Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Will, if you really didn’t want those 90 minutes to end then why didn’t you just run longer?” Well, my smart, observant friends that thought did cross my mind, but I had to look at the big picture:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-


Haha..Just kidding. The other big picture: I only had a Clif Shot with me, but no water to wash it down with (smart, I know) and I had to get back to have breakfast before heading out to catch a matinée with my mom (huge mama's boy right here).

So the last of those 90 minutes ticked away, ending my Election Day journey, but not before teaching me a valuable lesson.

Lesson: Always have a backup pair of running sneakers handy.

 I was already on the train heading home last night when I realized I forgot my running sneakers at home. Good thing I have practically brand new Kyocera 17’s in my closet that I all but forgot about in my earlier attempt to be a more minimal runner. Those sneakers really came in handy this morning! I can’t help but think that running in old dress shoes, sandals, or camping boots would have given me the same experience.

So we have come to the end of my first blog post and although I feel like a stranger in a foreign land, I hope you’ll continue to visit and read my posts. Any comments, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. 

That vegan runner's fuel of choice: 

Pre-run fuel: glass of water (I carbed up appropriately during last night’s dinner or else I recommend eating at last 100 calories prior to any run over 45 minutes)

Post-run breakfast:  Coffee, of course and a couple of rice cakes topped with almond butter, strawberry rhubarb jam, and banana slices. I made sure to include almond butter as the protein helps to boost the recovery process and the sooner after the exercise is complete the better. 


Post-post-run breakfast (and I mean about 10 minutes later):  a bowl of Kashi rice puff cereal with almond milk, banana slices and raisins...Oh okay then...and more coffee. You happy?!

No comments:

Post a Comment