Food = Energy

Food = Energy

Monday, November 18, 2013

Happy Monday!

Woke up this morning to an alarm that I wished hadn't gone off; this is rare for me. Typically, if I set my alarm for something like 4AM, then I'm up at 4AM. Fortunately that was not the time I needed to be up for school and I was allowed another 2 hours of sleep, but still, 6AM was too early for this morning. My body was and still is tired from a 17 mile run Saturday (the longest run since the 50 mile ultra I ran back in October) and a 7 mile fartlek run the next morning. So those were my runs this weekend, and in between I celebrated my dad's 50th birthday with the family at home. Little did I know I'd be heading to bed at 1AM (this has rarely happened in the past two years) after having some great late-night conversations with Val and my aunt and uncle who came up from Virginia. 

Anyway, I'm venting now about lack of sleep, but what about those people who just ran the Philly Marathon and Half-Marathon yesterday morning?? I have to say that I really wished I was in Philly for the marathon yesterday. It's 19th annual marathon last November was my first and only marathon event and it truly does have a special place in my heart. Were it not for student teaching (Read: a tight budget), I would have registered and ran these beautiful 26.2 miles on a gorgeous Fall morning, but...the universe had other intentions. Instead it wanted me to enjoy a nice run around my hometown with Val. Too bad it didn't want her to enjoy it, too, as she gave in to my nagging and joined me for 7 miles despite her congestion and overall sick-feeling (sorry, Val!). But really. To all you runners who completed the Philadelphia Marathon or the Bucks County Marathon (or ventured out of the area for another marathon), be it your first marathon or your 20th...congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. If you've been contemplating running a marathon and are or keep putting it off, don't worry! It'll happen when it is supposed to happen. It took about a year for the thought of running 26.2 miles to evolve into an act. The training can be intimidating and it is truly an astounding commitment that requires loads of time and energy. So yes, it can be daunting, but trust me when I say that it is absolutely, unquestionably worth every drop of sweat and every hour of sleep you give up! 

For those of you like me who like reading about running news, check this Runner's World article out! While you may not exactly follow suit, maybe it will inspire you to consider registering for that marathon or 5k, 10k, or half marathon you've been eyeing!


And for a quick read about additional benefits to eating a plant-based, vegan diet, click here:



No comments:

Post a Comment