Food = Energy

Food = Energy

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Miles and Soccer

Last week marked the first official week of Pick Your Poison training. The PYP relay race will be on July 25th and I've opted to run the 12 hour option solo. It will be my second timed-event, having run a 6 hour timed-event last summer in Pennsylvania. I have no idea what it will feel like to run for 12 hours so the training plan I developed for myself is more focused on time rather than mileage. For example, when training for a 5K or 1/2 marathon, daily runs and workouts are generally based on a number of miles. At least that's how they have been for me. Well, for the 12 hour, I will be turning those daily runs from X number of miles to X number of minutes or hours. At least that's the plan. The only time I'm planning on switching back to miles is when I've scheduled a track workout for the week, which despite me not running the 12 hour at a goal pace, I'd like to keep some speed and break up the monotony of distance training. 

So what does that mean for my weekend runs? Well, they've now turned from 15, 18, 20 mile runs, back into solely timed runs. This past weekend I had my first scheduled double long run where I run a certain number of hours Saturday morning and then a certain number on Sunday morning, thus trying to mimic running on tired legs which I will be doing come race day. So I ran 4 hours on Saturday and covered just over 29 miles and was going to run for 2 1/2 hours on Sunday, but I had to consider our plan to play soccer that afternoon. So I switched the 2 1/2 hour to a 90 minute run and covered 11 miles, bringing my total mileage for last week (ending Sunday) to 60 miles. 

During Saturday's 4 hours, I knew I was going to need to do something different to adequately recover enough to run more the next day, let alone get in a game of soccer. Plant-based vegan nutrition wasn't going to cut it. So as soon as I walked in the door, I ran the bathwater and filled the tub with what felt to me like ice-cold water. Why'd I do this? I'll explain in a post this week or you can Google (Yahoo or Bing work too!) it yourself if you're soo dying to know. 



Had to throw these on as well to help speed recovery. Compression socks and sleeves assist in good circulation of blood and oxygen which is slowed after a tough workout or being on your feet all day. Sometimes medical conditions also cause people to use compression socks for the same reason.

It's going to be tough getting through the distance training that's ahead of me. And especially tough because of the soccer kick I'm in and need to balance as well as 2 community college classes I'm pursuing which I'll also explain why in another post. What's going to make it easier to handle, though, can be explained in the following pictures:

  
Yes! We got a new fancy blender since we left our other semi-fancy blender back in New Jersey. Val was so excited when our Blendtec finally arrived. We got it for a steal as we purchased it refurbished from the manufacturer. Saved a couple hundred bucks and still got the awesome warranty. If it breaks, send it back and we get another! 


So now we can finally enjoy these blends all summer long! I love them after my runs as they are so refreshing and nutritiously rewarding if done right (e.g. not too much fruit as the sugar can add up quickly).



Okay, so this may be some splurging, but summer outings with Val are definitely something to look forward to. This amazingly delicious and beautiful-looking pizza was from Portobello Trattoria, the fine-dining Italian vegan restaurant we went to for her birthday last Friday.


And our desert: Molten Lava Chocolate Cake. Nothing else to say.

That's all for today. Remember to check in this week for why I tortured myself by soaking in ice-cold water after my long runs this weekend!


Happy Running!!


No comments:

Post a Comment